Monday, March 1, 2010

Race Report-Hyannis 10k

Race Report - Hyannis 10k (6.2 miles)
Result: 1hour, 10 mins

Got to the race site early to get a parking spot and was very grateful to have an indoor place to wait around. The race expo had tons of merchandise, indoor ladies rooms, coffee, Cabot cheese samples, 30th anniversary Hyannis Marathon posters, and the race t-shirts are really nice long-sleeves. I mean it is all about the shirts, right?

The starting line was chaos. We lined up by pace, so I made my way back to the 10 minute sign and eagerly awaited the starting gun. It was pretty chilly, but NO RAIN. Breakfast was an english muffin with peanut butter, water, and black coffee. Oh, and a double-espresso.

Despite my initial fears of a wind-driven, soaking rain, it ended up being what I consider ideal conditions! The weather held off, but it was still rather chilly waiting around outside for the race to start. I had on tights, an Under Armour compression turtleneck, my Brooks nightlife floursecent yellow running jacket (thanks, Santa!), a wicking Asics hat, and some gloves.

The starting siren went off and it took me two minutes plus to cross the starting line. Hynannis streets are very narrow and it was somewhat difficult to navigate the pack of 5,200+ for the first mile or so. By the first mile, the hat and gloves came off and I wonder how much measurable time I lost fiddling with my outfit.

I also ran with my iPod which I did not do at the Ironhorse 10k, my only other 10k that I did in 2009. When I was part of the FleetFeet running group, they always discouraged running with music so you could “listen to your body”. I can do either, but for some reason felt it was kind of a security blanket thing for me, a friendly companion. Did I loose time fiddling with this, too (eventhough I only got it out of my pocket once to change a song or turn down the volume)?

Anyways, I saw the first mile marker, which was a tiny orange cone and then didn’t see another mile marker the whole time! I was definitely looking for them, too. One of the volunteers was calling them out at mile 4 and I was pleasantly surprised at my progress at that point. Mile 5 started a gradual uphill but I cranked my arms and tried to do my best to finish strong. The very last part, turning into the hotel -the last .1 or so through the finish chute, was pretty challenging up an incline, but I heard the announcer call out my name and hometown and I was done!

I scared a few young girls as I had a few dry heaves as I walked it off (not sure what that was all about – the near puking) but I got my meadal, my bottled water and hit the car for the hotel. I couldn’t get those cold, wet clothes off fast enough and was shivering pretty badly. It was also a rough ride home and I should have stretched more before the long ride home. A hot bath later and I’m good to go.

My 1:10 result is 6 minutes slower than last year’s Ironhorse 10k but 6 minutes isn’t that far off. Back to the gym tonight! Thanks for reading


  1. Great race report Marcy, sounds like a tough race with sooo many people racing