Thursday, January 14, 2010

Zone Nutrition



Max emailed recently and said if we really wanted to get the full experience, we'd (Team TriMax athletes) better commit FULLY to the Zone lifestyle of eating. Proper nutrition is my weakest discipline of triathlon, even more so than running! Again, it's really just a mental block (no pun intended). It's really pretty simple, if I plan accordingly.

I've struggled with my weight for most of my adult life (always a skinny kid), being about 35lbs overweight currently. I am also a yo-yo'er, which means I have several sizes of pants in my closet ~ not cool. Lost 30lbs last year on Weight Watchers, just to gain it all back. Super frustrating and not healthy. I am a former Weight Watchers gal and counted "points" which is why I think I have this perverse aversion to counting Zone blocks. I think in my mind it is too much like a diet and not something I'll be able to do forever because it seems so high maintenance, doing all of this measuring and counting of units.

All it really takes for success on the Zone, I think, is planning ~ planning out the next days meals. I've done it before on WW, and I can do it again. This time I have a very important end goal (Timberman!) so why am I not as committed to the Zone as I am to my WODs? This is important!!! I have a four-day weekend ahead of me, so I am going to plan out my meals for the week ahead and not look back.

Training, Recovery AND Nutrition are all equally important and I've been putting all of my efforts into training and recovery. Ignoring the third factor of the trifecta will not help me be the best person I can be on August 22nd. Plus, who will want to look back on all those pictures in that unforgiving tri-suit?! Good luck to anyone trying to incorporate the Zone or perfect their blocks!

The plan seen here is for the first month, Jan 16th through Feb 16th.








5 comments:

  1. Dear Marcy,

    I just lost almost 80 pounds, and the ZONE is working!!!!, at the beginning was hard but now I can not imagine going back to my old "waste" food.

    If somebody is committed to a high goal like a triathlon, should take a close look at what they are using for fuel. Is like putting cheap gas on a Ferrari.

    The Zone is hard I would say the first 2 weeks, after that all make more sense, and even when you slip (like a month ago I ate 2 slices of pizza) your body tells you: What the heck are you putting on me?

    I'm almost 38 and I feel better than when I was at high school.

    Thanks to Max, I discovered The Zone and I plan to keep using as a way of life more than an occasional diet.

    I hope this encourage you to reach your goals and feel that "IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree, I have been in the Zone for a year and it has become a way of life for me. In fact I treated myself for my lunch today and devoted 2 blocks to an entire apple and it turned out to be rotten, I am so bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been zoning since around April 20th of last year. It was hard at first - I measured and weighed everything, but you get used to the portions after a while and measuring is not as important - though I still measure and weigh my food once in a while just to make sure I'm in line. I keep it simple and try not to eat out too often. I would try it for two weeks and see how you feel. Looking good is a nice side effect, but feeling good is the ultimate goal. P.s. I did this after about 40 years of bad diet habits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcy, its definitely worth the effort, personally I'm more into paleo than zone i.e. zone allows dairy I don't eat dairy.

    When I first started CF I used the zone and found it helpful for portion sizing - in fact I still use it for this.

    The most important aspect is to plan, I make all my b'fast / lunch / dinner on a Sunday for the coming week and store in my 2nd fridge (I am a creature of habit and can eat the same food during the week) this way I don't have to think about what to eat or spend heaps of time preparing it, I just do it once on a Sunday with the TV on in the kitchen - if you want any more help with this, drop me a line I'm happy to help you out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your support, everyone!

    ReplyDelete